Thursday, December 10, 2009

I finished Sandy's hat last night, so I'm back to knitting for myself, today. Gaia's Hug is amusing, in that the pattern changes as the colors in the yarn do. Since the colors in Noro change gradually, one has to be on one's toes.

I baked a few cakes this morning. I've been eying the order form from a Texas pecan farm for the last few weeks, waiting to feel like spending $50 on a cake. That's a lot of money, but I've had that cake before, and it's amazing, full of pecans and glaceed apricots. Still, that's a lot of money.

Making the cake myself wouldn't save a lot, as glaceed apricots cost upwards of $15/pound, unless I also made my own apricots. A couple of days ago, I tracked down a recipe for glaceed apricots online. (Put 1 cup sugar, 1 cup honey, and 1 cup water in a pan. Bring to a simmer, stirring to dissolve sugar. Add 12 oz dried apricots. Simmer gently for 20 minutes, then let cool in syrup for at least 2 hours. Delicious.)

Today, I made up a batch of pound cake batter, the full 1 pound of each ingredient lot. I added a bit of nutmeg and a pound of pecans before dividing the batter, since Tom loves pecans but hates apricots. After putting half the batter in one large loaf pan, I added most of the glaceed apricots to the other, and divided it further into one large and one small loaf. The small loaf, and the plain pecan cake, took a little over an hour at 350 degrees F to bake; the large apricot cake took about 15 minutes longer. I'm letting them cool before I cut them; I'm looking forward to tasting them.

Now, I'm on my way to my last back appointment. Tom is going with me, to see about insurance reimbursement. I was pleased and surprised to find that, under California law, chiropractic treatment is covered under insurance. The doc had told me it was not; my guess is that he didn't want to accept insurance, himself, either because rates are lower than he wants to charge, or he doesn't want to mess with the paperwork. I hope Tom will be able to get a good chunk of what we paid back from the insurance company. Anything would be better than nothing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home