Thursday, October 07, 2010

I'm back from Oregon. If I had had a computer and Internet access while I was gone, I could have posted a pithy remark or two every day, but those would have lost their punch by now.

I did take the 395 north, enjoying the scenery all the way. I swung past Tahoe, which was beautiful as always, and spent the night in a small town south of Lassen. Drove through Lassen the next day, and continued on the 89 to the 5, south of Mt. Shasta. By that time, I wanted to make some miles, so I stayed on the 5 until it was time to get on the 26 to the coast. For those unfamiliar with this route, the above means that I spent the first day and a half of my trip among rugged mountains and forest, most of the rest driving through picturesque farmlands, and ended in more forests, but in mountains less rugged. Near Tahoe, and along the 26, there was some show of fall colors.

Once I was home in Astoria, I spent a couple of days doing stuff to fix up the house, but mostly drove around admiring the weather and the scenery. I spoke with Tom daily, who reported on the continuing miserable heat, and the failure of the air conditioning as well. I had decided before I left how long I could stay, so it was a coincidence that I came back only after the weather in LA had turned cool and rainy. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

The high point of the trip: I participated in the Great Columbia Crossing, a 10 K race over the Astoria-Meglar Bridge. It's the only day on which it is legal to cross that bridge on foot, which I had wanted to do since I first laid eyes on it five years ago. I finished near the back of the pack, but, since my only goal was to finish ahead of the sweeper bus, I was satisfied.

The low point of the trip: While at the Oregon Coast Aquarium on my way home, I was bitten or stung by some unknown insect. Although I took two Benadryl as soon as I could, the swollen area is still the size of a quarter, two days later. Without the Benadryl, it'd probably be the size of a grapefruit.

That's enough for now. If I think of anything clever, I'll post it later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home