Sunday, July 25, 2010

On a hunch, I blocked the greenish and the red tops separately. It's a good thing I did; while the greenish top leaked an insignificant amount of blue dye, the red top turned the first two rinse waters the same color as cherry Jell-o. I gave it 8 changes of water, to be sure it wouldn't transfer dye onto my skin while I'm wearing it. When it was dry, it was both more purple, and more striped, than it had been before it surrendered its excess red dye.

They also, both, collapsed sideways as soon as they touched the water. This must be a characteristic of cellulose fibers, as I've never had the problem with wool, alpaca, or silk. I had to give them a good stretch lengthwise, in order to assure they'd be long enough to wear. The effect explains why so many of my t-shirts get too short after several washings, though. The effect is just quicker, and more obvious, in a hand-knit fabric with 5 or 6 stitches to the inch, than it is in a machine-knit fabric with dozens.


Post a Comment

<< Home