Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Remember when Nicholas Cage used to make good movies? I looked him up on imdb just now, and had to go back 11 years to see a movie he was in that I liked. I've missed most of his recent stinkers, but I took in "Sorcerer's Apprentice" today.

Poor Nick. He used to make lovely art films, then he alternated the art films with commercial flicks. Lately, it has been all commercial flicks, and not good ones. Johnny Depp has also mixed art films with commercial films over his career, but the commercial films have been better ones-- "Pirates," anyone?

If you haven't guessed, I didn't care for "Sorcerer's Apprentice." There would be plenty of points to pick at, but the first, fatal flaw came at the very beginning. Morgan le Fay is described as Merlin's "worst enemy." Yeah, she was his enemy, in the myth, but because he was helplessly in love with her. She used her sexuality to enslave/emasculate him. If you're not going to mention that she was his lover, as well as his enemy, you may as well not mention her at all. Make up new names for the sorcerers involved, rather than dumbing down the tale.

On the subject of Johhny Depp-- I adore him, and I believe he can do anything, but that doesn't mean I've liked all of his movies. I hatehatehatehatehated both "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" and "Sweeney Todd," but I don't blame him for them. I blame the director. Oh, and "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas." I walked out on that one, which is almost unheard of, for me.

I had a moment of ambivalence yesterday, when I heard that my beloved Tony Bourdain was nominated for writing primetime nonfiction. Not that he wouldn't deserve to win-- I DVR his shows, watch them two or three times before deleting them, and then watch them again when they're rerun-- but my Keith Olbermann had also been nominated. For whom would I root, if Tony and Keithie were competing for the same award? Some research on the 'Net revealed that they were in different categories-- generic "nonfiction," Tony's slot, doesn't compete with "news and documentaries," Keithie's. Tony's show looked a lot like news when he got stuck in a war zone in Beirut, so my confusion can be excused. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

I finished the back of the top, and am now starting the top of the front of the top. If you follow me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home