Sunday, August 08, 2010

Blogging from the road: this is a first for me. I'm not accustomed to this machine, so bear with me.

It's cool and overcast, here on the Oregon Coast, as usual. I'd me more excited about this, if the weather in LA had been its typical August inferno. Instead, I've only had the change from on-the-warm-side-of-pleasant to on-the-cool-side-of-pleasant. Still pleasant, though.

It took me two days to get here, as a three-hour traffic jam in the middle of nowhere prevented me from getting past Redding on the first day. I started out the second day way before dawn, so I had plenty of time to visit the Oregon Gardens, in Silverton. It was nice, but not spectacular. I'd rank it as my seventh favorite botanical garden on the West Coast, and I've only visited seven. If we extend the comparison farther afield, it does even worse, as there are a couple of gardens in Arizona that are first-rate. I liked the Oregon Garden a lot better than the Harry Leu Garden in Orlando, though. Of course, I was coming down with some sort of flu-like illness when I was a the Leu, so my judgement may have been impaired.

I was disappointed to find the forested vacant lot on the right of our home in Astoria converted into a construction site. Disappointed, but not surprised-- the new owners of the lot had contacted me before they broke ground. The only thing I could really complain about was that the workmen had dumped some of their construction debris on our patio; I did complain, and they moved it. I think some tree stumps have been dumped on the back of our lot, but I'm not sure, as I don't know exactly where the lot line is. I know, from the lot map, that our lot ends even with the second lot on the next street, but, since people around here don't fence their yards, I don't know exactly where that lot ends, either. I'll keep quiet about the stumps, for now. Who knows? I might decide to salvage them for tables or something.

I'm not sure I'll be able to blog again before coming home. I don't have Internet at the house, and it's uncertain whether I'll be motivated to go to the library or Safeway to hook up there. It's uncertain whether I'd even be able to get online again without Tom's on-hand guidance. I'm better with roses, or yarn, than I am with computers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home