Sunday, September 27, 2009

I finished the super-bulky scarf last night (one day, start to finish), and went back to work on the intarsia egg today.

I spent most of the day watching TV, both with and without knitting. I'm beginning to chafe under the doc's order to take it easy for two weeks. Since I had been laid up for three weeks before seeing the doc in the first place, I'm itching for an adventure. An air-conditioned adventure in a comfortable position.

There are a few people to whom I owe a debt of gratitude that transcends all possibility of future estrangement. I am thankful to Jim Rounseville for giving me the abandoned dog he found on his porch, who grew up to be the sweetest dog in the world, and the canine love of my life. That'd be Bonnie, if any of you remember her. I am thankful to Duane Smith for putting me through nursing school and helping to raise my daughter, Anka. I am thankful to Tom Stern for taking care of me, for loving me and trusting me, and generally being the best husband in the whole wide world. I am also thankful to Dan Brogan for being like a big brother to me in years past, and for turning me on to "The Simpsons." I'm not so thankful to him for turning me on to "Love and Marriage," which was funny at times but mostly vile. Thanks also, in current times, to Craig Miller for introducing me to "Big Bang Theory," which was certainly written about Tom and his college buddies, and to Marv Wolfman for introducing me to "Middleman."

Not all of these relationships are current-- I cut off contact with Rounseville more than 10 years ago, because he was a scheming louse. I divorced Duane, but we're still friends. Tom is sitting next to me as I type; if I ever leave him, have me committed for psychiatric care. Dan passed on about 12 years ago. Craig and Marv are still friends, of each other and of the Sterns.

Back to my knitting.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home