Tuesday, August 31, 2010

I got a phone call I found disturbing today. The man on the other end of the line claimed to be from my insurance company, and repeatedly asked for personal information, even after I told him that I did not want to participate in the program he had described. I told him that I didn't give personal information over the phone, and hung up on him.

Later, I got a letter from the same insurance company, telling me that they'd be phoning and asking for the information that he had asked for. The letter included a number to call, if I wished to opt out. Gee, it would have been nice if the letter had come before the phone call. The letter also included what it considered to be helpful hints about dealing with chronic back pain, such as asking my doctor if I should be taking Motrin, asking my doctor what my ideal body weight is, and, if I'm above my ideal body weight, dieting to lose weight.

Yeah. Like I haven't been taking Motrin for the last ten years or more. Like there might be a fat person who doesn't know she's fat, and has to ask her doctor whether she is. Like obesity is entirely a matter of ignorance, that can be cured by simply going on a diet.

If dieting cured obesity, no one who has ever gone on a diet would be fat, right? It's simple logic.

I'm half decided to phone that insurance company, and tell them what they can do with their helpful hints.

On a lighter note, I downloaded the recipe for a pretty lace scarf that wouldn't be too hard for me. I even found the perfect yarn for it, a variegated laceweight alpaca, in my stash. The scarf will have to wait, though. While I was looking for the laceweight alpaca, I came across an oddly colored skein of Malabrigo sock yarn, brick red, gold, and purple, that enchanted me as much as when I found it in my LYS. I'm past the toe increases, and one pattern repetition onto the foot of a sock that won't go with anything I own, but which will surely become a favorite. The colorway is just so... spooky.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home