Friday, November 27, 2009

Boy, dinner last night went great. The turkey was the best I've ever made-- boned, brined overnight, and roasted over mesquite charcoal in the pit.

I had some hours of doubt. I had invited a few extra people after doing the marketing. It seemed harmless enough to do so, as the turkey was plenty large. After the extra guests accepted, I remembered that I had only bought five tiny yams, and one box of dressing mix. I expanded the dressing by chopping up half a loaf of French bread I had on hand. To make the yams stretch, I cut the largest ones (which were still only 5 ounces or so) in half. I also added one extra vegetable, to reduce the demand on the stuff I had in limited amounts. We had leftovers of everything, so there was verifiably enough.

I was very glad that one of the guests offered to take some leftover pumpkin cheesecake home. While pumpkin cheesecake is one of my favorite things, two pounds for myself alone is a bit much. Most of my guests were dark meat fans, so all the leftover turkey is white meat-- hurray for our side!

Tom went to a con today. He wanted me to go, too, but I wanted to veg out at home. The upside of having a bad back is having a built-in excuse to get out of anything I don't want to do. I'm catching up on old movies on the DVR, while continuing to knit the grey alpaca sweater. The tangle I was having trouble with last night defeated me; I cut the yarn and wet-spliced it, as I had with the salvaged portion. Maybe that means, ultimately, that I defeated the tangle.

I've been knitting nothing but stockinette stitch, in solid dark grey, for over a week now. It's not driving me crazy, not yet, anyway. I wonder whether I should pick out something bright and take a break, just to make sure.

I may have embarrassed Sharon last night. She admired a hat I had made. I answered, "You can have it." I meant to show her my recent output of hats, and tell her to take her pick, but she noticed the one before I got around to it. She put it back down as if she were burned. I tucked it into her bag as she was leaving; it was on her head before she was out the door. Success.

1 Comments:

Blogger madonnaearth said...

I love it that she took the hat; that is awesome! I have a few finished objects that I don't think would make that grade. Some of the stuff I'm working on right now is really good, though.

I hope your colorwork socks turn out great! Nice blog you have here.

3:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home