Saturday, December 30, 2006

It's been one party after another, since early December. There are three more to go, this weekend, before I get to relax.

Early this year, while on my way to a party with my husband, I asked him whether I looked okay. He responded that I should comb my hair differently, as my grey roots showed. Well, there's nothing one can do about grey roots while on the way to a party, except maybe to buy a hat, so I did nothing. I was mighty self-conscious that evening, let me tell you.

I have been coloring my hair since I was in my 20s. For the first couple of decades, I was just adding hightlights. The color was so close to my natural color that I could slide on touch ups for a couple of months, no prob. When I started having noticeable amounts of grey, I switched to a lighter, more natural-looking color (did I mention that they were purple highlights?), and became a tad more diligent about touch-ups.

Since two of the upcoming parties are to be held in the daytime, and one of them outdoors, I decided that evidence of greying must be eliminated. I made a special trip to the drugstore. My color was sold out, so I bought the color I used to use. I applied it, per directions, and didn't think about it again.

Until the next morning. When I saw myself in the mirror, I was horrified. The contrast between my pale scalp and the dark purple strands made me look like I was going bald. Surrounded by a youthful purplish mane, every nascient wrinkle and imperfection stood out in high relief.

A few weeks ago, I met a celebrity interior designer. In photographs, she looks stunning. In person, she looks pathetic. She was tightly drawn and heavily made up, her thinning locks dyed jet black and supplemented with a pricey weave. Her skin-tight bodice showed as much of her surgically-enhanced bust as her sequined mini showed of her legs. She looked at least 70, trying hard to pass for 20. You know "Rose," the slutty sister on "Keeping Up Appearances"? She looked worse.

What I saw in my mirror, after coloring my hair, was this celebrity designer's fatter sister.

If you'll excuse me, I have to go wash my hair. Maybe twice.

Marina's Turn

1 Comments:

Blogger Norm duGare said...

He sounds like a clueless buffoon who should have told you you looked beautiful, ravishing, desirable, and I'll try to do better next time.

3:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home